We are calling this the Pirate Shirt UN-PATTERN. I totally winged this pattern and don’t have the normal step-by-step photos you have come to love about WeeFolkArt (although there are still a good handful). There was a lot of just fudging it that went on and fortunately Pirate Shirts are very forgiving that way. So instead of a pattern here… I’m going to walk you through my thought process.
First I grabbed a button down shirt of the boy’s. I wanted to get a feel for size/scale. I roughly traced the front piece onto a paper bag. I added a V to the front by looking at where the shirt would open if he left the top two buttons undone. I also made the arm hole just slightly bigger.
I used an old (wrinkled and slightly stained… which adds a nice touch to the pirate shirt) piece of muslin fabric. I cut out both the front and back on a fold, leaving a 1/2″ seam allowance all the way around (even at the fold… I wanted him to be able to wear something under the shirt if it was cold on Halloween). On the back panel I did not cut out the V. I sewed the front and back together at the shoulder, right sides together. I pressed the seams open.
I cut out two sleeves an inch or so longer than the ones on his button down shirt and about 2″ wider at the shoulder and 1″ wider at the cuff. Pirates have puffy sleeves. I ran a loose running stitch along the top edge and ruffled it before lining it up on the open shirt, right sides together. I sewed in in place (no fancy setting in a sleeve done here 😉 ). Then I cut out floppy cuffs. They were made with about 6″ wide fabric cut the length of bottom of his sleeve. I folded them in half, right sides together, cut the edges on a slight angle that flared out at the fold, stitched up the edges, turned the cuffs right side out and ironed the edges. I then lined up the cuffs on the bottom of the sleeves. I had to ruffle the bottom edge of the sleeves a bit to fit it to the cuff. I stitched them together adding a 1/4″ wide piece of elastic (cut to fit just a bit stretched at my son’s wrist) with an open zig-zag stitch.
I folded the whole shirt over at the shoulders, right sides together and stitched up the side seams and arms, reinforcing at the armpits, stopping just at the elastic in the cuffs so that the cuffs flared open. I then hemed the bottom edge of the shirt.
I don’t have any photos of the collar. This was where a lot of fudging went on (AND I’M SURE THERE IS A BETTER WAY TO DO THIS PART). I made a collar similar to the cuffs only longer so it wrapped around most of the opening. I made a piece of fold over binding to finish of the bottom of the V. I added the binding, then the collar right sides together. Then, because the collar was folding at the seam and you could see the seam, I pressed the seam down and top stitched around the collar just to hold the seam down inside the shirt. That seemed to work just fine for a costume shirt. When I make the next one (I’m going to have to since Bug hasn’t taken the shirt off since I made it) I will revisit this step.
Of course the minute it was off the machine it was on the boy with him asking for a vest now. Which I whipped up, although we weren’t happy with the color selection I had on hand. I see a navy or black one in our future… in which I will take some pics.
He raided the dress up clothes and found an old belt of Daddy’s, a red play silk and a belt from an old robe. He strung some wooden beads and I make him a quick ring with a large brass button and a piece of pipe cleaner. We managed to pull off a pretty quick AND FREE Captain Jack Sparrow look. All we will be purchasing for his costume is a hat.